Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Does a car have to be registered in order to sell it?

I'm looking to sell my car, but it hasn't been registered since December of 07. It was wrecked pretty badly in an accident, and since the person who did it didn't have insurance, I pretty much got screwed. I owe about $100 or so to fix the registration issue, I just haven't gotten around to it yet, and want to just get rid of the car now.





So, what do I need to do to sell it? Can I just sell it as, and go turn the plates in and deal with the registration issue, or do I need to take care of the registration and reregister it before I sell it?





I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but I don't plan on fixing the car up prior to selling it...there are a lot of Integra enthusiasts out there, especially in my area, so I figure the person can either use it for parts, or fix it up themselves. Also, I live in California.



I am not sure why you have a fine for an unregistered vehicle unless you were driving it unregistered or it was parked on public property unregistered but that will have no bearing on the new owner being able to register it. All you need to do is go to a notary with the title and the new buyer and both sign the title in front of the notary. DO NOT SIGN IT BEFORE. You will also give the new owner a bill of sale at this time. Make sure it states on it that it is sold "as is" to avoid problems later. Do not let them use your plates even just to drive it home. Chances are you will not get your plates back. Since the registration is out on the plates and it will probably be cheaper to get new plates when you replace your vehicle, just send them back ASAP. You also do not have to give them an estimate on how much to get it repaired, that is for a mechanic or body shop to do. Hope this helps.




NO BUT if the new owner wants it on the streets legally then he must register it. Before you sell it you need to let the perspective buyer know the cost or bringing it up to date.




yes

No comments:

Post a Comment