Thursday, March 12, 2009

1994 Mercury Topaz speedometer wont work?

The speedometer died out on me a while back.It just stopped working so I drove with out it.But now the gas gauge is acting funny too. When cars off it says its almost full! But when I start the car it goes down toward the E.I know I have almost a full tank.So what should I do?





Should I changed the cluster? If I do would that fix my problem.And another thing on the speedometer the trip meter dont work,Nor does the Regular millage meter, So that could be the cable maybe? where to start.. The check engine light has not came on to say it would be the VSS(Speed sensor).Thanks in advance



Check the ground wires that go to the instrument cluster. Usually the guages in the cluster don't fail, the sensors that send the information to them do. If the ground to the cluster is good, then I would suspect the fuel level sending unit in the tank is faulty, and either the speedometer cable (or electronics VSS, I can't recall which one ford used in the topaz that year) is broken. If the VSS/cable is broken the odometer and trip meter will stop working along with the speedometer, but if the speedometer gauge in the cluster itself breaks... the odometer and trip usually still work fine.




you have two problems the speedometer cable is broke and your fuel sendin unit is bad

No comments:

Post a Comment