Thursday, March 12, 2009

Still having problems getting my 98 jeep grand cherokee to start anyone with similar experiences?

ok i posted on here yesterday and we thought it was my distributor cap but apparently its something else. we have tested the following things. it is getting fuel, it is getting spark, and air. it just will not catch when i try to start it. the starter is not bad and niether is my battery. i have already had the broken distributor cap changed but it still wont start up. the man looking at my car thinks its an electrical problem or my timing belt possiby. has anyone had problems with this car like this and found out what it was that needed to be fixed?



Back to basics. Your engine needs the correct fuel-air mixture, compression, and a spark at the right time.





Is it the bullet-proof 4.0 liter I-6 or the troublesome V-8 engine?




Check to see if your crank position sensor went bad. If it did, you will get EXACTLY what you just described. Get a Chilton manual and look it up. Most of them are not hard to replace. The CPS senses the position of the #1 piston. When the piston reaches optimum position, it tells the computer to fire the plug. If there is no signal to your computer, it will just crank all day long and never fire, because the computer does not know the position of the #1 piston. Had this same thing happen in my 96 Grand a little while back.




If it dies everytime you release the key, I'd suspect the ballast resistor- if they use one.

No comments:

Post a Comment